Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Re: rp_filter makes ipsec stop working after some time

Dnia 2009-07-29, śro o godzinie 00:48 -0600, Carlos Ramos Gómez pisze:
> Hi,
>
> I'm posting this because I've found an in consistency in the way
> rp_filter is handled while using ipsec. My current setup is a lenny
> box with 4 NIC, 2 vlans and shorewall, this box is used as an ipsec
> vpn server hosting around 12 ipsec tunnels distributed in two ISPs so
> i have something like this: eth0(dhcp, but always get the same ip) ->
> ISP1, eth1(static ip) -> ISP2, eth2(no ip) -> Currently unused,
> eth3(static ip) -> Internal Network, vlanX@eth3(static ip) -> Internal
> Wireless Network, vlanY@eth3(no ip) -> Currently unused. Now the
> problem; when i start this box, having rp_filter active on every
> interface as it's shorewall default I belive everything works fine,
> but a few days later all the ipsec tunnels coming through the ISP2
> stop working and i start seeing martians logged in my syslog. I ran
> some tests while having the problem and this is what the results
> where:
>
> ping -I eth3 <remote internal ip>
> I don't get any answer and do get the martians on the log.
>
> tcpdump -n -i eth1 host <tunnel remote end-point>
> I do see the ESP traffic coming and going normally.
>
> tcpdump -n -i eth1 host <remote internal ip>
> I do see the icmp-request and response to/from the remote ip.
>
> this happened once before and since I was on a hurry I just restarted
> the machine and everything went back to normal. Now that it happened
> again I knew I had to do something, so after googling around for a
> while I decided to disable rp_filter on eth1 and everything just
> worked without doing anything else. According to the reply on this
> post http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg58756.html
> this is the intended behavior.
>
> But if this is intended behavior I wonder the following:
> - Why this happens after a while and not immediately ?
> - Why I never get this problem on tunnels from ISP1 ?
>
> Like I said it's working now, and I hope I never have this problem
> again. But there is always that little thing some call curiosity.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information you may have about this issue.
>
>
Hi

Problem appears only when packet is send through ISP1 interface and
returns with ISP2 int and vice versa. With rp_filter enabled packet cant
return through other interface. It is cutted and logged as martian.

Most of packets come back through the same interface but sometimes
returning packet will come back with another route path. It depends not
only on number of hops, but for example BGP settings, link cost, metric
weight etc etc on every router on the way.

You can alway turn off rp_filter on each ISP interface instead of
turning it off globally.

regards
Wojtek Borowski


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-firewall-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

No comments: